Pleasant View, Located in the
northern part of Cheatham County, was formerly known as "Bradley's
Stand," as well as, "Turnbull Horse Stamp." The mail and telegraph
lines ran from Clarksville to Nashville and the Town of Pleasant
View served as a stagecoach stop and rest area between the two
The Town was named Pleasant View
by a group of citizens in 1870. The first post office was in
operation in 1880. The first postmaster's salary was $12.00 per year
and escaladed to $300.00 per year by 1911. The first rural delivery
of mail was made in 1909.
In 1886, Pleasant View had a
population of nearly 300 people and had emerged as the seat of
tobacco factories, as well as a large loose leaf tobacco market.
Prior to 1850, children were
schooled at home. From 1850 to around 1870, children were taught in
two homes located in Pleasant View. The first school building was
erected in 1870 on five acres dedicated to the Pleasant View
Academy, more commonly referred to as "The Highland Institute."
Students could attend the Institute at no cost for five months of
the year. Students who attended the Institute beyond five months
were charged $3.00 per month per student.
The Citizens Bank was established
in Pleasant View in 1905 and by 1920 had capitol stock, surplus, and
undivided profits of $22,000.00. This bank survived until 1958.
The first and only telephone was
installed at the local drug store in 1910. When telephone service
was available to the private sector, the rates were $1.50 per month
and subscribers were told that the rate would always remain the
same. The first dial system was installed in 1936.
Around 1930, the first electric
lights in Pleasant View were powered by Tennessee Light and Power
Company. By 1938, the TVA Electric Service came to the town by means
The first water supply for
Pleasant View was from a drop off from Mill Springs. Later, the
citizens of the town drew water from a public well located in the
center of what is now Main Street. The water was drawn by a hand
pump. As the area developed, private wells and cisterns became the
source of water for Pleasant View citizens. Pleasant View Utility
District now provides water service to the area.
Pleasant View was incorporated
under a house bill in 1921 and consisted of approximately 105 acres.
The local government consisted of a mayor and six aldermen and was
divided into three wards. The town was unincorporated ten years
later. In 1996, the citizens of Pleasant View voted to
re-incorporate under a public act Mayor/Aldermanic Charter. The
population of Pleasant View at the time of incorporation was
approximately 2,150. Currently, the population is 4,164. Initially,
the town of Pleasant View was governed by a Mayor and two Aldermen.
David Davis served as Mayor from October 10, 1996 until December of
1998. Morris Bidwell served as Vice-Mayor,/ Alderman, and Don
Worrell served as Alderman. In 1998, The town voted to increase the
number of Aldermen to serve on the Board to four. The current Board
of Mayor and Aldermen consists of: Mayor Kerry McCarver, Vice-Mayor/
Alderman, Teresa Walsh, Alderman June Nicholson, Alderman Stephen
Carr, and Alderman Tammy Mathews. The City Recorder is Lisa Parker,
the Building Commissioner is TBA, the Police Chief is Michael
Douglas, the Deputy Clerk is Theresa Barnes, the City Attorney is Jennifer Noe, and the Fire Marshal for
the town is Deputy Chief PJ Duncan, of the Pleasant View Volunteer
Fire Department. Chief Duncan became the first paid firefighter for
the department in August of 2001 because of a donation given to the
department from the Town of Pleasant View.
Pleasant View City Hall is
currently located at 1008 Civic Court. The town is bounded on the
North by the Robertson/Cheatham county line. The Eastern boundary
goes from Goodsprings Road to Triangle Road, the Southern Boundary
goes along Old Clarksville Pike from Triangle Road to Oaklawn Road,
and the Western boundary goes along Oaklawn Road back to the
Robertson/Cheatham County line. Pleasant View maintains 55 city
streets (about 24 miles). The Schools within the city limits include
Pleasant View Elementary on Church Street and Pleasant View
Christian School on Hicks Edgen Road. The larger congregations
within the city limits include Baptist, Methodist, and Church of